Plans to build 100,000 homes for civil servants
on target, says Najib –

KUALA LUMPUR: The Govern­ment’s target to fulfil its promise of building 100,000 houses for civil servants by 2018 is close to reality after 82,012 units were approved and are in various stages of completion, says Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak.

He said there were 148 1Malaysia Civil Servants Housing (PPA1M) projects around the country and the Government was confident of meeting its 2018 target.

“Affordable housing projects, including PPA1M, are really close to my heart and are among the Government’s top priorities.

“We promised 100,000 units of PPA1M by the year 2018 and have now almost reached the target. This is the Government’s commitment, God willing, we can fulfil it,” he said at the launch of the PPA1M@Metropolitan Kepong (MMR2) here yesterday.

Najib said the PPA1M houses were built for civil servants employed at the federal and state public departments, and workers in local authorities and statutory bodies.

The build-then-sell homes, where only 10% of payment is made up front and the remaining 90% upon completion, is to reduce risk to civil servants.

Najib pointed out that prices for the 1,230 units here were sold at 30% below market price due to the public-private partnership with developer JL99 Group.

The 3.3 ha site was provided by the Government at a very nominal premium, he added.

The project included commercial shoplots, profits from which will be used to subsidise the PPA1M units.

Each unit costs between RM90,000 and RM300,000.

“This is only possible due to the indirect subsidy by the Govern­ment,” Najib added.

He also said the owners would not be allowed to sell the houses for 10 years, to prevent speculation and to guarantee the wealth and future of the buyers and their families.

Piling work for the two blocks of apartments at PPA1M@Metro­poli­tan Kepong (MMR2) had been completed and the units will be ready by 2018.

They will have amenities such as a 1Malaysia Clinic and Kedai Rakyat 1Malaysia.

Najib said the project’s completion was a reflection of the Govern­ment’s seriousness in looking after the welfare of civil servants.

The successful applicants for the units were among guests who attended the event.

Original article :